In December, Mercer, one of the top human resources consulting firms, shared their top six recommended action items for employers in 2018. With tax reform recently completed by Congress, and health reform forever looming on the horizon, businesses should examine their benefits strategy for the coming year as they seek to manage costs.
The Mercer Top Six
In a two-part blog series, Mercer highlighted six action items important to businesses seeking to manage and contain healthcare spend:
- Have a strategy to manage specialty costs
- Protect your company from high-cost claims
- Help plan members understand the cost of care at various access points
- Explore strategies to help employees juggle competing financial priorities
- Take a detailed look at how paid time off benefits are administered and managed
- If you are not sure what your employees want, find out
How An On-Site Clinic Helps
We agree with Mercer that these six priorities are vital. Our on-site clinic model can be an innovative element of your benefits strategy that addresses items 1-4 on their list. Let's take a look.
- Have a strategy to manage specialty costs: The majority of the specialty costs Mercer speaks of are drug costs. A recent study of the impact of the Vera on-site clinic at Seattle Children's Hospital showed that per-patient pharmacy costs were $817.53 less on an annual basis for any patient who used the clinic at least once.
- Protect your company from high-cost claims: Protecting your company from high-cost claims begins with a managed care approach. On-site clinics become a patient's medical home. By managing referrals and coordinating follow-up treatment plans with patients, the clinic team drives down overall healthcare costs and increases quality of care.
- Help plan members understand the cost of care at various access points: Because an on-site clinic is free to the employee, they will naturally be more likely to visit it first rather than other higher cost options. Our data shows significant reductions in ER costs for patients who are engaged at a clinic.
- Explore strategies to help employees juggle competing financial priorities: On-site clinics are free to employees, making it possible for them to use the clinic often, regardless of their financial situation.
As you focus on cost containment by building an innovative benefit strategy for your business, consider the impact an on-site clinic could have.